Wednesday, 4 June 2014

SAQA benefit auction

I have belonged to SAQA for several years but I have never entered any challenges or participated in anything other than doing a stint on the stand at the Festival of Quilts every year and attending the get-together they have there.

Then last week I suddenly realised that SAQA had extended the deadline for contributions to the annual Benefit Auction.  At the same time I realised I had several journal quilts that measured 12 ins by 12 ins. which is the size required.  I could easily live without one of these but which one?  I become hypercritical in these situations and several were rejected because they were too dull in colour or rather boring in subject matter.  In the end I had to ask my husband to help me choose, something he does not like doing as he is not artistic.  I also had to make my decision very quickly: no chance to mull it over for a couple of days as I was in danger of missing the new cut-off date.

Here is the one that I finally sent off on Monday.

Potting Shed

I still have doubts about it being rather dull in colour and in this photo the edges do not look straight (but they are!)

I made this quilt and several others on the theme of watering cans after taking part in a workshop run by Bobby Britnell at a Contemporary Quilt Summer School.  I became really enthusiastic about what we learnt which included monoprinting and a lot about shading in order to create 3D effects.  I had already learned monoprinting techniques at a printing group I used to attend but this was the first time I had used them on quilts.

Potting Shed began with monoprinting onto calico with black ink.  I cut out templates for the watering can and flower pots and used a wide toothed comb to create the vertical lines in the background.  The unique thing, though, is the use of Chromacoal to colour the 'picture'.  I seem to remember that those of us who took this workshop went and bought up almost the entire remaining stock of Chromacoal in the UK.  This had something to do with it having been discontinued because of health and safety issues but if you look at Bobby's website you will see the work where she has used it.

Having coloured the top, I put it on a stiff wadding that Bobby recommended and then free machine quilted it.  Then I had no idea what to do with it so it sat in a box with other the same size.  When I read about the Benefit Auction I realised it was a really good cause.  This is SAQA's main fund-raiser, based on donations from members.  I do not really expect this to sell but it might appeal to someone who wants a decoration on a gardening theme.  The other thing is that it has made me realise how much I like this size of quilt so I am all set to make some more, using up some of my UFOs.

No comments:

Post a Comment